Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Our Cute, Frustrating Puppy

Ugh! It's a good thing our six month old Great Pyrenees puppy is cute. Mia is very cute, but not obedient. This is a problem, because she thinks our commands are optional. We are working with her to improve on this, but it has caused us some considerable stress. Recently, I was walking her outside on a leash, because snow drifts from the recent storms had created what Mia saw as a convenient ramp, over the field fencing we have around our property.  Though she was on a leash, she got away from me in the yard, and ran with purpose, toward the fence. I ran after her, throwing my body over the fence in a futile effort to keep up. I lunged for her leash, but Mia ran down one of our neighborhood trails, in what must have seemed like a sporting game of chase to her. She trotted toward some neighborhood dogs. I tried in vain to grab her leash and failed. I could no longer see my house. I was lost, tired and my throat burned from the cold air.  Mia ran over a hill and I lost sight of her, momentarily. I felt hopeless! I prayed, "Please, Lord, help me!!" When we came to the road, I was relieved to see Mia look both ways before she crossed the street. She paused to sniff the ground. I crossed the street, following her. When she started to head toward another trail, I crept toward her and knelt down. I called to her again, careful not to let my tone reflect my frustration. In the kindest voice I could produce, I cooed, "Mia, come here." By God's AMAZING grace, she came to me, looking repentant, with her head down and her ears back. I resisted the impulse to smack her. I took her leash and we began the walk home. Miraculously, I found that I was only a few houses away from my house! Even though I was extremely frustrated, I felt thankful that the Lord had directed our path.

No comments:

Post a Comment